Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pneumonia??

We thought the ear infection news was bad...until we learned Madison may now have pneumonia. The two aren't related, of course, but one would wonder considering our poor baby got hit with one right after the other.

On Friday afternoon, I got a call from daycare that Madison had a low grade fever. I had a feeling we needed to get it checked out right away because I had been questioning all week if she felt good - she was just not herself. Twenty minutes after I got the call, I got there to pick Madison up and her fever had spiked to 102.3. She did NOT look good at all. She was breathing fast, was very sluggish and sleepy and burning up! To make a very long, painful and sad story short, after three hours in an emergency care center, too many needle pokes and other torturous tests, they told me the radiologist saw some "pneumonia in her lungs" but couldn't tell if it was the early stages of pneumonia or a viral infection. They prescribed another antibiotic (she just finished a course a week before for her ear infection) and we went home - Madison was completely exhausted and I was drained in every way possible. I felt horrible for putting her through that torture and was just angry at the people there and the pediatrician's office for not seeing her instead (a long story that I won't go into here).

Dylan didn't know any of this was going on until after the fact because I couldn't reach him before I left work and on top of that, my cell phone was dead, so that made it even more stressful for me. I hated not having him there to help me make decisions about Madison's care.

Anyway, Madison was feeling better by Saturday - her temp stayed down all day and Saturday night and she seemed to be happy and completely back to normal (hence our short trip to the beach on Sunday!!!), so we pretty much decided that it was a crazy 24-hour virus or something.

YESTERDAY, Madison woke up congested, hoarse and by the end of the day, had developed a nasty cough! Needless to say, we're back to thinking it very well could have been pneumonia. There is definitely a lot of "junk" that she is trying to get rid of. She is such a trooper though. I just hope she starts feeing better soon. :(

No comments: