Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Don't Get The Flu Mist!

Our poor baby has her first cold. Thursday before last, Madison had her two month well exam. You remember - when she got all the shots and I took the flu mist (instead of a flu shot - but is a live attenuated virus that goes in your nose like nose spray). I have never gotten a flu shot but since Madison won't be old enough to get one herself this year, the pediatrician recommended that Dylan and I and anyone else who will be around her a lot get the shot. She then recommended the mist instead of the shot because it is supposed to be better and protect you from more strains of the virus. Well, let me just tell you, I'm not so sure the mist really has your best interest in mind.

I started feeling achey just a few hours after taking the mist and then the next day I started getting sick. I just felt very tired, achey, congested, had a headache and a sore throat. The night after I deliberately inhaled a virus up my nose :), I was feeling pretty bad so I took my temperature to make sure I didn't have a fever. It was 95 degrees! Dylan took his, we took Madison's, and then I checked mine 3 more times to make sure the thermometer wasn't broken and it wasn't. Apparently a subnormal temperature can be a side effect of the mist too!? It was back up to normal the next morning. I have been trying to get rid of this "cold" since. I will have a good day and think it is gone and wake up the next morning with a sore throat again!

I was told that even though I had symptoms from the mist, I was not contagious and couldn't pass it on to anyone else.

Madison started getting a little congested a few days after I did. I've checked her temperture everyday since and she hasn't had a fever at all. For the most part, she acts like she is ok, with the exception of occasionally seeming a little bothered by all the gunk in her nose. The nurse at the pediatrician's office said that unless she has a fever or stops eating, she doesn't need to go in and suggested that we try saline drops.

I have had to suction out her nose quite a bit and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt her or that it is possible to suction TOO much. I want her to be able to breath though too! She's starting to sneeze a lot of it out, so she's not as congested anymore. It seems like we are getting close to the end. I sure hope she feels better soon.

I left work early Monday so that I could take Madison home and make sure she was comfortable and feeling ok. She and I both took a long nap together and she seemed to be doing fine. It is really the worst in the middle of the night and early in the morning. The ladies at Primrose said she had a good day today. They also said it could be a little bug she picked up there. With all the babies, I know that kind of stuff is inevitable - doesn't make me like the idea of it any more. I'm still not sure if that is the case though...the timing seems suspicious to me.

I am going to call the doctor again just to let them know she still has a lot of mucus in her nose and it has been over a week and see what they say.

No comments: