Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What a week!

Ok, so it has been quite a long time since we have posted an update. We have good excuses. One of the biggest reasons is that I caught a VERY nasty virus. I know, I cannot believe it either! Anyone that doesn't know me well would think I am sick all the time but this has really just started since Madison was born. Probably a combination of things. This time I was completely out of commission for a week though. I went to work last Monday with a little bit of a sore throat and since the weather has been changing so much, I didn't think anything about it. Then, I noticed that I had a swollen gland in my neck on one side and it all went downhill from there. I stayed home Tuesday and by that evening I was running a fever of 102. I wasn't able to go to work the rest of the week and didn't even start feeling better until Sunday morning. I had fever spells off and on for at least four days, ranging anywhere from 100 to 102, even though I was taking Tylenol around the clock to keep it down. My throat was so sore I could hardly swallow anything. I didn't have an appetite but had to force myself to eat so that I could continue to nurse Madison. I wore a doctor's mask anytime I got close to her. That part was quite comical, actually.

Over a period of a couple of days I had two rapid strep tests come back negative even though the doctors and I were sure that is what it was. The doctor also did some lab work to determine what else it might be and also to check and see if I am anemic. The lab results came back this Monday and by that time I was finally feeling like I was going to live!! All I know is that it was a viral infection of some kind and I am not anemic, so that is good.

So, what's next? You guessed it - Madison is sick again. I don't think she has what I had though, thank goodness! Her symptoms are completely different. She has a cough and nasal congestion but isn't running a fever. This just started the beginning of this week and yesterday we noticed that she even sounds different, like she is losing her voice a little. :o( The pediatrician gave us some things to watch for but says we're just going to have to ride it out. She has her four month follow-up appt. tomorrow anyway, so they'll get to take a look at her then. I wish there was more I could do for her. It breaks my heart to see her that way.

On a happier note, the other night I laid her in her crib (flat on her back) while I went and washed her pacifier. I heard some fussing coming from her room so I went back in there and she was completely on her stomach - arms and legs stretched out - and not happy to be there! She is getting so strong, trying to sit up and succeeding a lot of the time actually, though still a bit wobbly. I don't think it will be long before she is sitting up on her own.

Here are a couple of my favorite recent pictures. I know...I have so many favorites! These were taken one morning before daycare and Madison was a little sleepy.



There are also a few more new posts below. :o)

1 comment:

Keith, Tiffany, Owen and Delia said...

i know i say this a lot, but she is so gorgeous. i love the brown hair with blue eyes. hopefully we will get to meet her soon. glad you are feeling better.