The past couple of weeks, Madison has been waking up a lot more often in the night than she had been. Though we have always gotten up at least once for a feeding in the middle of the night, there have been a few nights recently that she wakes about every 2-3 hours! We weren't sure what caused the change but thought she might be getting cold or was needing more to eat. I also noticed that after I would feed her, she was much more awake than she used to be. In the past, she would wake to eat and then go right back to sleep afterwards. Recently, after feeding her, she is ready to go! I will put her in her crib thinking that she will go right back to sleep and she will look up at me and smile....and then the chatting begins. She will just talk...and talk...and talk for what seems like forever...at 2:00 in the morning!! :o) I had mentioned this to Dylan (he is a very hard sleeper and it takes a lot to wake him up) the other day. Well, last night he got to experience it for himself. :o)
Madison and I fell asleep on the couch while Dylan was upstairs working on a paper. I woke up there around 1:45 a.m. - still in my clothes, with Madison next to me...still in her clothes. It had been several hours since she had eaten and she was starting to stir. Just as I began feeding her, I heard a lot of movement upstairs and then Dylan ran down the stairs with a very confused look on his face. He had fallen asleep working on the laptop and woke up about the same time to all the lights and the t.v. still being on and my side of the bed empty. He didn't know what happened, where I was, or what time it was. So, anyway, I finished feeding Madison, took her up and got her in her pjs and put her down. By this time it was about 2:30 a.m. and Dylan had crawled back in bed, but hadn't fallen back asleep yet. I went in and got changed myself...and then the chatting began!! Madison was wide awake and had a lot to say! I didn't want to encourage her to stay awake by interacting with her too much but I was wide awake at that point too, so it was a challenge not to. I went in several times to try and put her to sleep - tried rocking her, etc. She would dose off and I would put her back down, walk away and she would start babbling again! Dylan could hear all of this going on in our room over the monitor - we were both getting tired and knew we had to get up in a couple of hours, but it was pretty darn cute and funny!
Dylan and I had actually read something just yesterday that said that active babies around her age may begin waking up a lot more in the night and that you may just have to let them have that time to burn some energy. So...that is what we did. I let her talk for quite awhile and then went back in, covered her up again, gave her her pacifier and she finally went back to sleep (around 3:00 a.m.) and slept until morning (around 5:30 a.m.).
I think the key is to try and keep her up as much as possible in the evening before we are ready for bed. Last night was just unusual that we fell asleep so early. Anyway, it makes for a good story...
No comments:
Post a Comment