Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Don't blink

In just a blink of an eye, Madison went from looking and pointing curiously to cruising with determination, squatting while standing and even standing up in the middle of a room without something to hold on to, responding to things we say or other things around her as if she really understands (like when she waves bye-bye to the store as we head to the check-out counter), and is even saying a few words!! It just seemed to happen over night!

For about a week now, probably since about the time her first tooth poked through, Madison has been walking around pointing at EVERYTHING and saying, "uh dat?" (what's that?). It took us a little while to realize that is what she was saying, but after hearing it over and over a few times, we realized that she is repeating what we say to her a lot. Sometimes "uh dat?" is shortened to "dat?" or "tat?" too.

I am pretty sure that she said "duck" last night in the bath and when I quacked like a duck in a higher pitch, she let out the same high pitch sound - her babbling is never high pitched like that, so I know she was imitating me!

Though she starting signing "more" awhile back, she only did it occassionally and didn't typically do it at the right time. That has changed and she let's us know if she wants more of something.

This morning she signed "milk" when I asked her if she wanted some. I had never even seen her do that one nor have we worked on that one with her - so she must have learned it at school.

Just the other day I said her name and then asked, "where's Madison?", and she pointed to herself. Dylan and I have both been working on this with her, which makes me think it wasn't just a fluke.

Maybe this is normal for babies her age (I haven't been around enough to know), but I have to say, I am very impressed and one proud mama. As if that wasn't obvious...

No comments: