Saturday, September 29, 2007

Madi Goes to Iowa

At six weeks, Madison and I took a trip to Iowa to see my Grandma (Madison 's great-grandma), Aunt Marta and cousin, Megan. Madison did SO well. She is such a trooper! Our trip was going to be a short two and a half days and three nights because I had to go back to work the following week, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to go to Iowa and visit while I had the time. I was so excited for Madison to meet them and know they were really looking forward to meeting her too. Dylan helped us get checked in at the airport and made sure we made it to our gate and then had to say bye to Madison for the first time. :( Unfortunately, he didn't have the time to take off from work to go with us. The trip started out pretty rough... Apparently, there was bad weather in Dallas , so after we had boarded the plane, the pilot announced that we were going to be delayed for at least a half hour, maybe longer. To make a long story short, we were delayed long enough that we missed our connecting flight (supposed to connect in Dallas at 3:45 p.m. and got there at 4:15). The next flight out was cancelled, so we were put on standby for the NEXT flight out that wasn't supposed to take off until 9:40 p.m. After standing in a million lines and talking to so many different people, we secured a spot on the 9:40 flight and arrived in Cedar Rapids, IA around midnight. What a mess! I must mention though that Madison was such a good girl - she slept almost the entire flight and handled being in the airport for all those hours just fine. When she did wake up, she even smiled (which we had only seen her do maybe one other time at that point) at the girl sitting next to us! All of the other passengers around us (though also quite perturbed about the delay and cancellations) were so nice - either that or I looked like I really needed some help. :) Despite the somewhat chaotic trip there, we had a great time in Iowa.

Madison got her first Halloween costume and some fairy wings that I had been looking for - pictures below. She also loved meeting Grandma, Aunt Marta, Megan, Laura Phearman, and Megan's friend Ali. They all loved her too. :) Of course, she got all kinds of gifts while we were there that we actually managed to fit in our bags and get home (it was definitely a challenge)!
I'm so glad that we got to spend that time with Grandma and all our other family and friends. After having done it once, I'm confident we can do it again and look forward to going back!

See album of pictures from our trip....













No comments: